Thursday, September 6, 2007

THE HOLLAND BAR ON 9TH AVE BETWEEN 39TH AND 40TH

Dave and I met at my new favorite bar in Manhattan. It is called the Holland Bar and man is it horrible/wonderful. It is on 9th Avenue between 39th and 40th, just a few blocks from the Port Authority bus terminal. This being only my second time there I didn't feel all too comfortable taking pictures of the inmates, but I will next time. In the past two times that I have been there, there have been junkies, old Chinese guys yelling about baseball, hookers, pimps and all other sorts of nefarious characters. It is the BEST in Manhattan!
Take note: If you do decide to go to The Holland, there is no name on the outside. It just says BAR in big letters. And the sign was painted with a brush and shitty black house paint. Also, be sure to bring only cash and not too much of it. Don't be shocked if there is a lot of agression and perchance, a fist fight.

Here is a review or two.
Our bartender Sharkey. He was fond of telling us that he had a bat behind the bar that is still "in use". This guy also warned me to watch my cash as there was a junkie eyeing it. Nice.

Dave and I enjoying the smell and ambiance.


The Holland bar used to be in the Holland Men's hotel. When the hotel closed down, they put the sign in the bar. They also have the previous owner's ashes in there as well. I think that they have illegal Chinese immigrant housing upstairs now, as I saw about 20 or so old Chinese guys coming out of the unmarked and shabby building. They cram into rooms of 10 guys and pay next to nothing in rent.


My MYSPACE picture. Done in a urine soaked men's room a block away from the Port Authority.



All in all The Holland is a fine establishment. Shitty jukebox, scary crowd, poor décor and the ashes of the previous owner on display. There are even thinly veiled threats from the management.

We should expect to see great things from the Holland.

3 comments:

Handis30 said...

Do you have to be a butch female to even look at the place?

THE LOW LIFE said...

I think you have to be on the very low end to even notice the place.

Rhonna said...

Sounds amazing. I personally love blue collar bars, the only one's I used to frequent before I got married again. Salt of the earth type places with REAL people in them. This is a GREAT idea Issac. What if everyone who visits a dive in their area posts photos up here and we can all leave comments? Anyway sounds like great fun, show me more! I must now convince my hubby to go our local dives with a camera.